New Year’s resolutions are promises we make to ourselves to make changes for the following year. These promises are as personal as altering our personality traits, or as public as committing a few hours a week to a charity organization. New Year’s resolutions come in many forms; usually declarations or written lists.
Most people make resolutions as a means of willing themselves to make a change. Often times, these resolutions are not achieved, but it can serve as a motivator for the individual. The possibility of achieving the resolution depends on whether the resolution is realistic, and the will of the person to achieve it. For example:
– A 29 year old woman makes a resolution to get married within a year. This may not happen because she is not the only one in control. She may have the will; however, she also needs a groom. And the groom must also get married within that year.
– Someone decides to gain control of their anger. The possibility of this occurring depends on the person’s willingness to seek the necessary help.
Because of the strength and dedication that must be present in order to achieve New Year’s resolutions, some people make the same promises to themselves every year on New Year’s Eve. It is important that you find out what is important to you and make a realistic promise to yourself, to increase the probability of achieving it.
The most popular New Year’s Eve resolutions include:
– A commitment to spend more time with one’s family.
– A promise to drink less alcohol or quit the addiction completely.
– An intention to eat healthy foods and utilize environmentally friendly practices.
– A decision to gain higher education: Go to college or finally get one’s GED.
– The intention to learn how to manage your finances effectively- learn to minimize debt and better utilize your present income.
– Quit Smoking: start using a nicotine patch or gum, or decrease the amount of cigarettes per day by half.
– Travel: go to the place one has always dreamed of going.
– Put an end to procrastination: Spend one’s time doing what needs to be done.
– The declaration that you will lose a specified amount of weight.
– The promise to work towards a promotion or getting a good job.
– The decision to give back to the community: through community service or donations.
It is your willpower that will result in the loss of a few pounds or a new outlook on life. You have the power to decide if you will work extremely hard towards a raise at your job and if you will finally purchase your dream home or car. Resolutions are important because they drive individuals to make changes in their lives. They are a way of opening up about your greatest wants, and a reason to try and achieve your ultimate dream.